Data science and analytics is a rapidly-growing field. As we move towards a data-driven digital world, data science and analytics will grow further at a tremendous speed and scale. It is poised to become a dominant field, helping in the progress of various industries across the globe.
The New York Times has described data science and analytics as a “hot new field that promises to revolutionise industries from business to government, health care to academia.”
From a career perspective, it is one of the best paths. Data science and analytics offer candidates various job opportunities and diverse job roles across multiple sectors.
In this blog, we will look at some of the most prominent job roles that exist within the realms of data science and analytics.
1. Data analyst
A data analyst is a professional that analyses raw data to extract valuable information that can be used to make better-informed decisions. They are responsible for tasks like data visualisation, processing, and manipulation.
Some roles and responsibilities of a data analyst include:
- Data extraction using automated tools
- Organising data
- Removing unwanted data from the dataset
- Performing analysis
- Data filtering
- Identifying patterns and trends within the data
- Report preparation based on data analysis
To become a data analyst, you will require a specific skill set to help you perform your duties to produce the best outcome. The key skills for a data analyst include:
- Strong mathematical skills
- Knowledge of programming languages like SQL, R, and Python
- Experience with data visualisation software like Tableau
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
The role of a data analyst is a high-paying one. Data analysts get an annual salary of about INR 5,00,000 per year, as per Glassdoor.
You can learn more about – Becoming a Data Analyst
2. Data Scientist
Harvard Business Review describes data scientist as the “Sexiest Job of the 21st Century.” Data scientists analyse and understand the challenges faced by the organisation and provide the best possible solutions using data analysis and data processing methods. They work closely with the business stakeholders and provide actionable insights that can profoundly impact the business.
Some roles and responsibilities of a data scientist include:
- Identifying the sources for data collection
- Data integration, processing, and cleaning
- Providing data-driven solutions to challenges faced by the organisation
- Analysing data to identify trends and patterns
- Collaborating with various stakeholders involved
To become a successful data scientist, you need to possess the following technical and non-technical skills:
- Statistical analysis and computing
- Knowledge of programming languages like Python, SQL, and Java
- Knowledge of SAS and other data analytical tools
- Strong business acumen
- Excellent data intuition
- Robust communication skills
A data scientist job can earn you a handsome income. As per Glassdoor, data scientists earn an average of INR 10,00,000 per year.
You can learn here about – Becoming a Data Scientist
3. Business Analyst
Although it falls in the data science and analytics domain, the role of a business analyst is slightly different from other data science jobs. They analyse a business by documenting its processes, identifying shortcomings, and providing solutions.
Some roles and responsibilities of a business analyst include:
- Understanding the business processes
- Performing detailed business analysis
- Budgeting and forecasting
- Providing solutions to existing business problems
- Pricing analysis
The top business analyst skills include:
- Decision-making skills
- Report creation
- Analytical and critical thinking
- Programming languages
- Communication and interpersonal skills
As per Glassdoor, the average salary of a business analyst is around INR 8,80,000 per year.
4. Data Architect
A data architect is an individual who reviews and analyses the data infrastructure of an organisation, plans future databases, and provides solutions to store and manage data. They also ensure that data engineers are provided with the best tools to work with.
Some roles and responsibilities associated with a data architect profile are:
- Developing and implementing the overall data strategy for the organisation.
- Identifying the internal and external data sources
- Data management
- Planning and execution of big data solutions
- Auditing data management systems
Some key skills required to excel as a data architect are:
- Knowledge of data modelling techniques
- Expertise in system development life cycle
- Knowledge of machine learning, NLP, and predictive modelling
- Programming languages like Python, C, C++, and Java
- Data mining and visualisation
- Collaboration and communication skills
Data architects earn huge salaries, along with perks and bonuses. As per Glassdoor, the average salary of a data architect is INR 20,73,309 per year.
5. Machine learning engineer
A machine learning engineer is an IT professional who primarily works with artificial intelligence systems. They are responsible for developing and implementing machine learning models to help enhance business productivity, reduce downtimes, and improve business processes. Machine learning engineers are in high demand nowadays.
- Designing, developing, and implementing machine learning systems
- Researching machine learning algorithms
- Developing algorithms based on the project’s requirements
- Data exploration and visualisation
- Training and retraining machine learning systems
- Developing machine learning products based on requirements
The key skills required for a machine learning engineer are:
- Knowledge of machine learning algorithms
- Applied Mathematics
- Neural networks
- Data modelling and training
- Communication and collaboration skills
- Analytical and logical skills
Machine learning engineers earn an average of INR 8,93,562 per year, as per Glassdoor.
We hope that this blog helped you understand the various job roles in data science and analytics, the job requirements, and the average compensation for each. Data science and analytics is a good career path to choose, looking at the current and future needs of professionals in the domain.
If you want to know and learn more about data science and analytics, Join the Seekho Select Membership to learn Data Science, or download our app today to know more! The membership gives access to live workshops, courses, and certifications that can help accelerate your career growth in the field of data science and analytics, and many others.
Also, check out our other blogs –