Financial Analysts work in financial institutions like banks, insurance companies, and other businesses. They are involved in financial research to formulate profitable investment schemes and decisions for their company or clients. It also includes evaluating financial data, dedication toward the market (equity and credit), and keeping an eye on the macroeconomic trends across various sectors.
Financial analysts shoulder various duties; they require strong analytical, mathematical, and interpretation skills besides ample market knowledge. That is why writing an impressive financial analyst resume might be challenging as a fresher.
How to Write a Compelling Resume?
While writing a financial analyst resume, there are three formats available: Chronological (starts with work experience and achievements), functional (starts with skills), and combinational (combination of both chronological and functional formats).
Interestingly, according to Zety HR statistics of 2022, CEOs have less than 7 seconds to look at a resume (1). Therefore, it is best to choose the chronological format lest you sell your prominent features at the very beginning itself.
Hence, the flowchart or format structure includes:
- Name, contact, and address details
- Professional Resume Summary
- Work Experience (list past positions held)
- Education (and other backgrounds)
However, as a fresher, you might not have the experience to pull off an impressive image with your past work profile. Therefore, here are a few tips to help you write a compelling resume as a fresher –
Place your name and contact details at the top in the highly visible zone so that once your employer likes your resume, he/she can easily contact you. Give the largest font to the name, the second-largest to the job title, and subsequently as such to the contact number, email, and professional LinkedIn profile (optional).
Write a Catchy, Concise Resume Summary
The summary should in a nutshell be an attention-grabbing preview of your resume. In short, the recruiter should get an idea of whether you are suitable for the job or not without going into many details. Therefore, include the following while writing a summary:
- Mention job title and years of experience
- Top achievements and skills
For those without experience, mention a significant project along with your top achievements and skills. Look at the example:
“Analytic and goal-oriented aspiring Financial Analyst possessing a Master’s/Bachelor’s degree in Finance from Delhi University. Highly-capable leader, having led Senior class projects at inter-university levels. Quite proficient in modern technologies and seeks out new challenges.”
Focus on Achievements
As freshers who have no work experience, it is better to make up for those by displaying your achievements.
- List any internship-related work experiences
- Include the job title and role played
- Put 2-3 crisp pointers describing your duties
- Significant academic achievements less than 3 years old can be included
(Tip: If you are unable to get your resume noticed at a large-scale firm, it is better to first gain experience in small or mid-level firms to build up your resume. Another method is to join the sales department to gain finance experience before moving ahead as a financial analyst)
Showcase your Skills
While you might be extremely skilled as an individual, this section on the resume only requires listing the relevant skills that prove you as a potential candidate. Thus, for being hired as a financial analyst, here are some of the skills to master:
- Reading SEC Filings
- Mergers Acquisition & Analysis
- Leveraged Buyout
- Business Valuation
- Financial Modeling
- Accounting, and so on.
(Tip: While presenting your work portfolio, achievements, and skills, leverage numbers. For example, instead of writing lent financial guidance to XYZ business/clients, write:
- Assisted in the creation of financial reports that led to a 20% reduction in costs as an intern at XYZ firm.
- Collaborated in the AML program and successfully reduced time to meet trend by 40%)
Mention Education Details
Keep the education section concise by showing only the following details:
- Bachelor’s degree info: University and Graduation date (showing grades is optional but better if you do)
- If you have a second degree relevant to the field, keep the same format
- If you have done a master’s in Finance, skip the high school education detail
The order of placing educational details should be weighed by importance and relevance. Look at the example:
– BA in Finance
Delhi University (2011-2014)
– Courses attended: – Corporate Finance
– Asset Management
Fill in the Optional Resume Sections
As a fresher with little or no experience, the optional sections of the financial analyst resume might work in your favor as here you can put up what you can offer to the employer despite having no work experience:
As financial analysts, the most favorable certifications are financial modeling, CFA, CPA, IFRS knowledge, etc.
You may add any foreign language you are proficient in or technical skills (like SQL, QuickBooks, Hyperion, SAP, Excel spreadsheets, etc.).
This section is for showing HR your side and building a rapport through these interests. Thus, your hobbies and interests will showcase your potential beyond being an employee.
A few Mistakes To Avoid in Resume
- Do not overlook typos and grammar mistakes. Proofread it well before the final submission.
- Always edit your resume and tailor it according to your job portfolio and see that it does not extend beyond 1-2 pages (you may also change the format accordingly)
- Do not merely mention a job/experience. Explain the position with 2-3 pointers
- Avoid being generic in your description by following the golden rule of “Action verb + Job duties + Skills, technology/process used + Outcome.”
- Do not write in the resume what you cannot offer. Inaccurate qualifications or unverified attachments will be evaluated as dishonest statements.
In the end, once your resume is complete, you may check your score using ATS resume checkers to get a professional overview and tips. Later on, you can edit accordingly before uploading.